Monday 28 December 2009

How shallow can you get

This shot was taken with a single flash at about 64th power through a white umbrella to camera left a couple of feet away - nothing fancy, except I added a pale gold gel to the flash to warm up the skin tones just a little (Nicky is very pale at this time of year!).  Maybe I could have gone warmer but I still wanted some realism...

I also used my rather nice (and cheap) Canon 50mm 1.8 lens for that extremely shallow depth of field which gives the tree lights a lovely bokeh.  The only thing to watch out for is that neither you nor the model moves once you have your focus point!



1 comment:

  1. I particularly like this one Shane. The lighting is great. And the bokeh style Christmas tree is a perfect background. I also like it that your wife is not looking in the camera. Not that there is something wrong with her eyes ;-))
    You are lucky to have a wife so willing to pose in front of the camera. My wife doesn't like to do that.
    I like your blog although I still don't have a clue what "strobe photography" exactly is. Maybe you can add some explanation to the blog.

    ReplyDelete